The Atomic Grog
Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant
The definitive book on the histoic Fort Lauderdale Tiki temple has been released. Get your copy now.
Social media updates
- New giant carved Tiki added to The Mai-Kai’s outdoor garden in time for 60th anniversary
- The Mai-Kai turns 60 with special history presentations, celebration
- Halloween treat: The Hukilau 2017 tickets go on sale!
- Photos: A hauntingly good time at historic Mai-Kai’s 8th annual Hulaween party
- The Mai-Kai’s eighth annual Hulaween party is cursed by cannibals
- Recipes: Exotic cocktails at Altered State Tattoo’s 20th anniversary party
- Kapow! replacing Longboards in downtown West Palm Beach
- Week/Month in Tiki (May 1-31, 2016): Recap Tiki Caliente; preview Tiki Kon, Tales of the Cocktail and Tiki Oasis; plus Tiki bar news and more!
- Still available: The Hukilau 2016 merchandise by Shag, inspired by The Mai-Kai
- The Hukilau 2016, Day 1 photo recap: Pre-Party at The Mai-Kai, The Wreck Bar mermaid show
- Disney World
- Miami Rum Festival
- Photo galleries
- Take 5
- The Week in Tiki
Category Archives: Events
Week in Tiki (April 1-15, 2016): The Hukilau, Tiki Caliente and more upcoming events; Miami fest’s award-winning rums; Tiki bar openings and closings, and more!
Get the latest updates on The Hukilau in June and the fast-approaching Tiki Caliente in May. Other event previews include Vintage Tiki Weekend in Wildwood, a Shag art release at Disneyland, and Dick Dale’s latest tour. We take a look … Continue reading
Week in Tiki (March 16-31, 2016): Lost Lake fire and more Tiki bar news, event previews, Lemon Hart rum returning?
Late March was punctuated by upheaval in the Tiki bar world, including a fire at Lost Lake in Chicago and the confirmed closing of Trader Vic’s in Portland. We also have updates on the upcoming Pacific Seas in Los Angeles … Continue reading
Updated May1 The Atomic Grog celebrated its fifth anniversary on Saturday, April 30, with a special cocktail party in The Molokai lounge at The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale featuring live instrumental surf music from Skinny Jimmy Stingray, drink specials, giveaways, … Continue reading
Updated May 9 A full recap of the eighth annual Miami Rum Renaissance Festival is coming soon. In the meantime, here are the winners of the annual RumXP Awards announced on Friday, April 15. Also check out our photo gallery … Continue reading
If the idea of a cross-country road trip to five Tiki bars in five different states seems daunting, The Hukilau will make it easy for you during the 15th annual gathering of Polynesian Pop enthusiasts June 8-12 in Fort Lauderdale. … Continue reading
The Week in Tiki (Jan. 1-15, 2016): New Tikis to rise at The Mai-Kai, Lost Lake honored, Smuggler’s Cove book release, Tiki in South Beach, plus more!
The new year is off to a roaring start with comprehensive coverage of the carving and planned installation of two giant Tikis at The Mai-Kai during The Hukilau. Chicago’s Lost Lake was named Cocktail Bar of the Year, while Martin … Continue reading
The Year in Tiki 2015: Legends lost, but revival becomes renaissance with new bars, music, art and more
It was a year of both sadness and elation, when some legends were lost but the world of Tiki made great strides. As we mourned the deaths in 2015 of musicians Robert Drasnin and Ernie Menehune, plus artist The Pizz, … Continue reading
The Week in Tiki (Dec. 14-31, 2015): Preview new Tiki bars coming in 2016, festive New Year’s events, a new Kon-Tiki voyage, plus more!
After an exciting year that saw many new Tiki bars open across North America, lots more are in store for 2016. Preview what’s coming, plus get a quick New Year’s event guide. We have news on a new Kon-Tiki sailing … Continue reading