The Atomic Grog
Check the AtomicGrog.com homepage for our favorite features, plus the latest news, reviews, cocktail recipes and more.
The official blog of The Hukilau
- The Hukilau updates: High Tide party announced, rum sponsor rundown, merchandise preview with photos!
- Week in Tiki (April 1-15, 2016): The Hukilau, Tiki Caliente and more upcoming events; Miami fest’s award-winning rums; Tiki bar openings and closings, and more!
- Week in Tiki (March 16-31, 2016): Lost Lake fire and more Tiki bar news, event previews, Lemon Hart rum returning?
- UPDATE: ‘Boozy’ blog celebrates fifth anniversary with A Fifth of Grog at The Mai-Kai
- Miami Rum Festival boldly explores the next frontier of cane spirits
- UPDATE: RumXP Awards announced at eighth annual Miami Rum Renaissance Festival
- The Hukilau guests to take a Tiki Road Trip; new Shag merchandise in the works
- Week in Tiki (March 1-15, 2016): Trader Vic’s Portland closes, The Hukilau and more event updates
- The Week in Tiki (Feb. 16-29, 2016): Rum and Tiki event roundup, new Tiki bars in D.C., S.F., photos and event recaps
- The Hukilau updates: Raiders of the Lost Tiki Culture symposium, new sponsors, Pier 66 hotel news
- Disney World
- Miami Rum Festival
- Photo galleries
- Take 5
- The Week in Tiki
Category Archives: Photo galleries
After coming precariously close to saying aloha and goodbye to The Hukilau, the long-running Tiki event she has organized since 2002, Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White is sure glad things turned out differently. “For me, it was the best event in … Continue reading
The Hukilau offers a deep dive into the history of porthole cocktail lounges and their mysterious mermaids
“Cocktails & Fishtails – The Untold Story of the Porthole Cocktail Lounge,” a symposium at The Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, June 14. Held at the Bahia Mar Beach Resort, the presentation was hosted by Vintage Roadside and Medusirena, … Continue reading
It’s a rum enthusiast’s dream: Seven days of nothing but tasting hundreds of rums and cocktails in sunny Miami, learning about the colorful history and culture that envelop every aspect of the industry. But the sixth annual Miami Rum Festival … Continue reading
The summer tour featuring surf guitarist Laramie Dean and drummer Jimmy Dale made three stops in South Florida last weekend. The Southern California-based band made the cross-country trek to Dean’s former stomping grounds for two full shows plus a special … Continue reading
The Hukilau was held June 6-9, 2013, at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel (aka the Yankee Clipper) and The Mai-Kai restaurant. See below: Gallery of 40 photos More than 800 devotees of Polynesian Pop culture and classic mid-century style … Continue reading
Dick Dale: performed April 25 at Grand Central in Miami with Gold Dust Lounge and Skinny Jimmy & the Stingrays. See below: Photos from the show Rock ‘n’ roll icon Dick Dale is in the midst of a career resurgence … Continue reading
Miami mixologist shows how to jazz up your tired old cocktails with exotic liqueurs at Epcot Food and Wine Festival
A worthy New Year’s resolution for any mixoligst would be to break away from the norm and explore alternative ingredients to make your cocktails stand out from the crowd. Today’s explosion in creative craft cocktails makes it difficult to decide … Continue reading
Last year, The Atomic Grog spent one whirlwind day at the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, sampling food and drinks from 16 different marketplace kiosks. For 2012, Mrs. Hurricane and I vowed to take a more leisurely approach, so … Continue reading
Slip and the Spinouts rocked the house during The Mai-Kai’s fourth annual Hulaween on Oct. 26 in Fort Lauderdale. The South Florida rockabilly favorites were the highlight of the seven-hour party that also included a costume contest, retro tunes and … Continue reading
Update: Sweetwater introduces new cocktails, voluminous spirits menu Unbeknownst to most of South Florida, a craft cocktail revolution has swept the country over the past decade, elevating mixology to heights not seen since the heady days following the repeal of … Continue reading