From the ashes of the Week in Tiki (and, later, the Month in Tiki) rises The Tiki Times. Still ambitious, but more practical, this monthly guide to what’s going on across the world of Tiki culture will hopefully be a definitive resource of where to find special events that touch on topics of interest to many Tikiphiles. You’ll find all the major Tiki festivals, plus smaller gatherings along with events that scratch our itch for rum and cocktails, surf and rockabilly music, mid-century modern design, even Disney. And don’t forget authentic Polynesian culture, the well from which Tiki springs. The biggest will get extended coverage as “spotlight events.”
Social media: Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates
Pinterest | Coming soon: Twitter and Instagram
AUGUST 2017 TIKI EVENTS CALENDAR
Spotlight events: Surf Guitar 101 Convention (Aug. 4-6) | Tiki Oasis (Aug. 10-13)
Asbury Park Surf Music Festival (Aug. 25-27) |
Ongoing events | Upcoming events
Aug. 4-6 – Surf Guitar 101 Convention at the Alpine Village in
Torrance, Calif., and Surf Dogs Sports Grill in Huntington Beach. The 10th annual event draws the best instrumental bands from around the world dedicated to preserving the ’60s surf sound. Headlining bands include the Huntington Cads (California), El Caminos (Japan) and The Kilaueas (Germany). Fostered by the Surf Guitar 101 website and organized by Jeff “Big Tiki Dude” Hanson, this is one of the premiere surf music events of the year. The convention has expanded from one to three days in 2017. Saturday remains the main event with all the heavy hitters hitting the stage from noon to midnight, along with vendors raffles for vintage guitars and other gear. Friday’s opening night features all current California bands from 8 p.m. to midnight. Sunday’s closing party spotlights a second venue and bands playing alternate sets of songs not played on Saturday.
2017 performing bands
Friday, Aug. 4 (Alpine Village) – The Surf Rockers, Outerwave, Par Avion, Tequila Worms, The Volcanics, Insect Surfers.
Saturday, Aug. 5 (Alpine Village) – The Mystery Men?, Atomic Mosquitos, Tribute to Jim Fuller and The Surfaris, Lively Ones reunion, The Dynotones, The Exotics, The Kilaueas, Tribute to the Astronauts, The Madeira, The El Caminos, Venturesmania, The Huntington Cads reunion.
Sunday Aug. 6 (Surf Dog’s Sports Grill) – SG101 Members Jam, The Exotics, The El Caminos, The Madeira, Atomic Mosquitos, The Mystery Men, The Kilaueas, Special Secret All Star Band.
Surf Guitar 101 Convention highlights
* Huntington Cads reunion. The instrumental surf band that was a mainstay in the Los Angeles scene in the 1990s will reunite for a rare appearance. The band released several cult classic albums (Go Exotic! in 1996 and Introduce the New Sound in 1998), but is perhaps better known for featuring budding artist Josh Agle (aka Shag) on guitar.
* Lively Ones reunion. This first-wave instrumental surf rock band from the 1960s Southern California scene is perhaps most well known for their 1963 song Surf Rider (written by Nokie Edwards from The Ventures), which was featured in the final sequence as well as the end credits of the seminal 1994 film Pulp Fiction.
* Tribute to Jim Fuller and The Surfaris John Blair (of Jon and the Nightriders) will join an all-star cast of musicians playing vintage, early Surfaris songs from the influential band’s early 1960s catalog. Fuller, a co-founding member of the band whose lead guitar work is featured on the signature hit Wipe Out, died in March at age 69.
* Pre- and post-convention shows. Many of the bands performing over the three-day weekend, plus others not featured at the main event, have scheduled shows throughout Northern and Southern California before and after the convention. Check this thread on the Surf Guitar 101 website for all the dates.
Official sites: Surf Guitar 101 | Facebook page
* Past Atomic Grog coverage, photos
* Aug. 5 – Book signing and presentation by Tiki “Swanky” Glazner at Tacoma Cabana. Join the author of Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant at the acclaimed Tiki bar in Washington for the kick-off of his West Coast tour. This event includes a one-hour multimedia presentation on The Mai-Kai’s iconic Mystery Drink. See rare archival videos and photos, hear interviews, and learn about all the people involved in its creation and history, from Kui Lee and Bettie Page to Johnny Carson.
More on Swanky and his book tour
* Book review and tour preivew on Critiki News
* Interview on the Tiki With Ray blog
* Tim “Swanky” Glazner | The Mai-Kai
* New: Friends of The Mai-Kai Facebook group
* Google Maps: Explore The Mai-Kai in 3-D
More on The Atomic Grog:
* The Mai-Kai is here to stay: 10 reasons why we love the historic S. Fla. restaurant
* The Mai-Kai turns 60 with special history presentations, celebration
* The Okole Maluna Society: The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide
* Aug. 7 – Book signing with Tiki “Swanky” Glazner at Smuggler’s Cove. The author of Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant makes his second West Coast stop to sign books and tell stories about master mixologist Mariano Licudine and the “Tiki Mothership” at the acclaimed San Francisco rum and Tiki bar.
Continue reading “The Tiki Times – 2017 Events Calendar: August means Tiki Oasis, surf guitar and hot summer events”