- The Tiki Times: Preview the full 2020 events calendar
- The Year in Tiki 2019: Recap all the top events with photos and video
- Sippin’ Santa comes to town: Exclusive Beachbum Berry interview, plus festive cocktail recipes
- UPDATE: The Hukilau returns to historic hotel for 19th annual Tiki weekender June 3-7, 2020
- Retro Rekindled: Skinny Jimmy Stingray to talk classic surf, perform at The Mai-Kai on Dec. 15
- Another holiday Miracle: Beachbum Berry’s Sippin’ Santa locations double, expand to Florida
- Skinny Jimmy’s Picks: The all-time top 5 Dick Dale songs
- Gone but not forgotten: Surf guitar pioneer Dick Dale, 1937-2019
- The living dead came to party at The Mai-Kai’s Hulaween 2019 luau
- Skinny Jimmy’s Picks: The top 5 most sinister surf songs
TheAtomicGrog.comCheck the homepage for our favorite features, plus the latest news, reviews, cocktail recipes and more.
More social mediaFacebook: Friends of The Mai-Kai
Pinterest: See our photo archive
- My Tweets
Your Tiki bar’s best friendWhat are you drinking tonight?
The Grogalizer is your key to unlocking the power of the most popular tropical drink recipes.
Sign up now.
Available now!Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant
The definitive book on the historic Fort Lauderdale Tiki temple has been released. Get your copy now.
- Disney World
- Photo galleries
- Rum festivals
- Take 5
- The Tiki Times
- The Week in Tiki
Category Archives: History
The Hukilau 2019: Tiki Tower Takeover cocktail party sold out – Preview, photos and complete history
For the fifth year in a row, the signature event at The Hukilau has sold out months in advance. The Tiki Tower Takeover, held every June in the 17th floor rooftop ballroom at Pier Sixty-Six in Fort Lauderdale, will have added significance in 2019. Continue reading
In honor of the 15th anniversary of The Hukilau, we asked Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White to share her remembrances from her 15 years as co-founder, co-producer and organizer. Starting in 2002 in Atlanta and moving to Fort Lauderdale the next … Continue reading
Marking its 15th anniversary, the East Coast’s largest and oldest Polynesian Pop event promises its biggest party ever in 2016. But before the rum-fueled bash gets into high gear, we’d like to pause and take a look back at the … Continue reading
In honor of The Hukilau’s 15th year and the 60th anniversary of The Mai-Kai, event co-founder/organizer Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White has assembled some of the top names in the Tiki revival for special events and symposiums that promise to educate … Continue reading
After coming precariously close to saying aloha and goodbye to The Hukilau, the long-running Tiki event she has organized since 2002, Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White is sure glad things turned out differently. “For me, it was the best event in … Continue reading
Updated June 21, 2014 The 13th edition of The Hukilau, the East Coast’s largest annual event dedicated to mid-century and Polynesian Pop culture, rolled into Fort Lauderdale last week for five days of “the most authentic Tiki event in the … Continue reading
The Hukilau, the East Coast’s flagship event celebrating mid-century Polynesian Pop culture, delighted its Facebook fans with an announcement Friday that this year’s event will not be its last after all. The Hukilau: June 11-15, 2014, at the Bahia Mar … Continue reading
Potions of the Caribbean: 500 Years of Tropical Drinks and the People Behind Them (Cocktail Kingdom), hardcover, 317 pages, $34.95. * Order now: Cocktail Kingdom (U.S.) | Amazon | More info on BeachbumBerry.com Jump to recipes below: Rum Pot | … Continue reading