Hulaween, South Florida’s Tiki-inspired and retro-themed Halloween bash, celebrates its 10th anniversary at The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, Oct. 26, with a “Back from the Dead” reunion party.
*** Friday, Oct. 26 – Hulaween 2018: Back from the Dead – 10th Anniversary Reunion featuring Slip and the Spinouts at The Mai-Kai. Sponsored by Appleton Rum. Free admission. Happy hour 5 to 7 p.m., plus drink specials all night. Live music and costume contest in The Molokai bar, 7 p.m.-midnight.
The Atomic Grog: See 2017 party recap, photos | All past Hulaween coverage
Returning for the eighth time to rock the house is veteran roots rock band Slip and the Spinouts, cranking out three sets of classic covers and originals in the historic restaurant’s Molokai lounge. Doors open at 5 p.m. for the bar’s extensive happy hour, featuring some 50 half-priced tropical drinks and dozens of appetizers. The festive mood is set by themed music and a fully-decorated bar, including the signature sarong-clad servers (aka Molokai Girls) in costume.
The live music kicks off at 7 as the always-creative costumed revelers get into the spirit of the festivities with some of the most clever and well-crafted creations. The costume contest happens around 10, with cash and prizes to the top three winners.
Guitarist/vocalist Slip Mahoney and his band will keep the party going late into the evening with an eclectic mix of styles, from blues to rockabilly to classic country to surf. The bar fills up fast, so get there early to reserve a table. The dance floor is always a sight to behold as costumed revelers shake, rattle and roll to the beat of the Polynesian Pop party.
Several of The Mai-Kai’s acclaimed tropical drinks will remain half-priced all night long, and Appleton Rum will also present specials and giveaways. New sponsor Drive-In-Sanity Films will provide ghoulish giveaways themed to its cult B-movies. The Atomic Grog blog is back as media sponsor and musical programmer for the seventh straight year. The exclusive artwork for Hulaween 2018 was created by South Florida artist Robert Jimenez.
Opened in 1956 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014, The Mai-Kai is the last remaining grand Polynesian supper club from the mid-century. Its cocktail menu is beloved by Tiki revivalists and the general public alike, and the Polynesian Islander Revue is the longest-running authentic South Seas stage show in the United States, including Hawaii.
At Hulaween on Oct. 26, this South Seas fantasy world will be transformed by the lively crowd of undead revelers who will return from the grave for a 10th time in search of a good time. It’s likely they’ll find it.
10 YEARS OF HULAWEEN
Robert Jimenez (2017 and 2018) is the latest artist to lend his talents to the annual Hulaween promotional efforts. Other noted artists who have helped create posters and flyers include Pooch (2012 and 2014) and Fred Lammers (2015). The Mai-Kai is selling a limited number of the 2018 poster signed Jimenez in the restaurant’s gift shop, The Mai-Kai Restaurant Trading Post, including the online shop. Click here to order now.
2017 (Robert Jimenez) and 2016 …
2015 (Fred Lammers) and 2014 (Pooch) …
2013 and 2012 (Pooch) …
2011, 2010 and 2009 …
The Mai-Kai is at 3599 N. Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale, on the west side between Commercial and Oakland Park boulevards. Call (954) 563-3272 for more information or to make dinner reservations. Valet and paid self-parking.
* Official site | Trading Post | Twitter
* Facebook: Official page | Friends of The Mai-Kai group
* Instagram: Restaurant | The Molokai bar | Trading Post
* Mai-Kai history: Book and official website | Facebook page
* Google Maps: Explore The Mai-Kai in 3-D
The Atomic Grog
* 2017 recap, photos: Monstrous mayhem at the ninth annual Hulaween party
* 2016 recap, photos: A hauntingly good time at The Mai-Kai’s 8th annual Hulaween party
* 2015 recap, photos: The undead get lively at The Mai-Kai’s seventh annual Hulaween
* 2014 recap, photos: A ghastly good time at The Mai-Kai’s sixth annual Hulaween party
* 2013 recap, photos: Partygoers raise hell at The Mai-Kai’s fifth annual Hulaween
* 2012 recap, photos: Hulaween was hoppin’ all night at The Mai-Kai
* See all the past Hulaween coverage
More photos on Facebook: 2011 | 2010 | 2009
More on The Mai-Kai on The Atomic Grog
* The Okole Maluna Society: The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide
* The Mai-Kai is here to stay: 10 reasons why we love the historic South Fla. restaurant
* The Mai-Kai turns 60 with special history presentations, celebration
* New giant carved Tiki added to The Mai-Kai’s outdoor garden
* ‘King Kai’ leads procession of new Tikis into The Mai-Kai
* Historic Mai-Kai celebrated, new cocktail menu unveiled at anniversary party
* Heeeeeeere’s the rich history and lost stories of The Mai-Kai
* Tour of The Mai-Kai’s mysterious bars and kitchen (with photos)
* Interview with manager Kern Mattei
* More Mai-Kai history | All Mai-Kai posts